Top Purifiers That Remove Mold Spores
Air filtration is a critical component of keeping your home clean.
Top Mold Spore Removal Purifiers
Mold is always a part of your Los Gatos, CA, home. Mold spores are naturally found in the air both indoors and outdoors. This means you have mold in your home even if you don't have any active growth. Many homeowners want an air filtration system that can help them remove the spores. Not all of the air purifiers on the market are up to the job. However, many do use HEPA air filters. These pleated filters trap particles that are 0.3 microns or larger to help keep the air in your home clear of bacteria, pollen and mold.
Here is a quick list of some of the best purifiers that use HEPA filters:
• BlueAir 450E: Uses an air ionizer and a HEPA-like filter to remove particles from the air
• Oransi Max: A quiet HEPA air purifier that has a pre-filter as well as the v-HEPA filter
• Oransi OV200: Has a pre-filter, HEPA filter and carbon filter to remove particles and odors from your home's air
• Austin Air Healthmate: Combines a washable pre-filter, HEPA filter and carbon filter to remove particles from your air
Because this isn't an exhaustive list, you may want to learn more about the various air filtration systems available on your own.
Reading the Filter Ratings
Many air purifiers that use filters include a filter rating. The rating is often on the MERV scale, which ranges from one to 18. The lower the number is, the larger the particles have to be to get trapped in the system. If you want to remove mold spores from your home, you need to use an air purifier that can contain a filter with a MERV rating of 13 or higher. A filter with a 13 rating is approximately 75 percent effective at removing spores. A HEPA filter comes in at a 17 rating and is approximately 99.97 percent effective at mold removal.
Air filtration is an important part of keeping your home clean. You can get more advice about the purifier you should buy by talking with a mold remediation specialist.
The Three Ds of Flood Cleaning
Carpet damaged by storm waters in Saratoga, CA.
What Are The Cleaning Requirements After a Flood?
You hear that flood water is contaminated, full of pathogens that are harmful to your family. How do you know what you must throw away and what you can sanitize? Look to the three D's of flood cleaning: dispose, disinfect and dry. Here is a brief guide for each.
Follow local guidelines in Saratoga, CA for waste disposal. If garbage service is not yet running, you can bury contaminated food about four feet deep to keep the odor away. You should dispose of the following items:
- Throw away any food, even canned or sealed, that has been in contact with flood water.
- Throw away food from your fridge if power has been off for more than 2 hours.
- Don't use any garden produce that remains after a flood.
- Discard dishes with cracks, as well as any plastic or wooden kitchen items.
- Submerged drywall may need to be replaced.
- Dispose of carpet padding.
Cleaning requirements to properly disinfect your personal items vary depending on what materials are being cleaned. For most disinfecting, use one cup of bleach to one gallon of water to make items from the flood clean again.
• Use bleach mixture to spray structural materials and personal items that were contaminated, rinse with clean water and dry.
• Disinfect kitchenware and appliances by using hot soapy water, scrubbing to remove solids, then rinsing with disinfected water. Make sure appliances are unplugged and taken apart.
A flood disinfectant effort isn't complete without proper drying. Professional flood remediators have powerful equipment to help accelerate the drying process and ensure that it is thorough. You should start the drying process right away to help prevent permanent damage or the development of mold.
• If power is back on, turn on fans and air conditioner to assist with drying until help arrives.
• Hang rugs and remove cushions to put them in a better area for drying.
• Remove carpet and dry outside after cleaning.
Trained restoration professionals can recognize what can be saved and what must be disposed of. They are trained in the proper cleaning requirements for each kind of material.
Four Fast Steps To Speeding Up Mold Remediation
Mold growth damage.
Four Quick Steps to Getting Mold Remediation Done Faster
Black mold can be disastrous for a business or property owner. The effects of this kind of mold can last long after the moisture problem has been contained; the mold must also be removed entirely from the space to avoid recurrence. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to limit the amount of mold cleanup you’ll have to do.
1. Locate and remove the source of the moisture causing the problem. Water travels quickly, and into the smallest of spaces. Every moment that additional water floods into your home is additional mold remediation that may have to be done. Finding and eliminating the source is vital to a quick cleanup.
2. Contain the area as quickly as possible to avoid further contamination of the property. By shutting off the air conditioning system, putting plastic over doorways, and ridding the building of all standing water, you’ll quickly and decisively minimize the square footage of space you’ll have to decontaminate. That can save you both time and money.
3. Dehumidifying is important to stifling the growth of black mold. You can undertake that yourself, or contact a qualified contractor in Campbell, CA, to handle it for you. If you opt to manage it on your own, be sure that you leave the dehumidifier in place for the proper amount of time to attain the full benefit. Too much drying out can lead to damage to the constituent materials, but too little can lead to mold.
4. Dry out, repair, and replace the damaged items as required. While some portions of your property and some belongings can be easily dried out and reused, others will require replacement. Knowing ahead of time what can be saved and what cannot may keep you from wasting time on things that will need to be thrown out.
Cleaning up and repairing your property after a flood can be a costly, time-consuming process. However, a few small steps can make a big difference in the time and money you spend to right your space and eliminate black mold.
Tips for Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor From Your Home
However, if your home smells of cigarettes, your first priority will likely be home deodorization.
How To Get Rid Of Cigarette Smoke Odor In Your Home
As a new homeowner in San Jose, CA there may be a few things about your new house that you want to upgrade. Some people start thinking about remodeling and renovation. However, if your home smells of cigarettes, your first priority will likely be home deodorization. Working with a smoke and odor removal company can help you have a fresher smelling space. You can also keep these tips in mind as you go through this vigorous cleaning process.
• Wash Fabrics: Any curtains, rugs and carpets left behind need to be thoroughly washed. Fabrics can soak up particles from cigarette smoke. These particles make the odor linger longer. The type of fabric will dictate whether you use a dry-clean or wet method.
• Store Content: Once your belongings have been cleaned, you need to make sure they remain odor free. Putting your clothing, furniture, curtains and other cleaned items into a storage unit can help you ensure they do not get smelly again.
• Clean Walls: Even the walls and ceiling in your new home need to be properly cleaned for a thorough home deodorization. If these surfaces are left untreated, you may notice that the aroma still permeates your house. The professional cleaning crew will likely use a special solvent and equipment to clean the permanent fixtures in your house.
• Incorporate Filters: Commercial-grade air filters can help remove odor particles from your space. While air filtration may not remove the odor on its own, it is an important part of the overall cleaning process.
• Use Machines: Another machine commonly used to help remove cigarette smoke odor is an ozone machine. This device emits ozone molecules that act similarly to the smoke molecules. The new particles attach themselves to the surfaces in your home to start the deodorization process.
Home deodorization may not happen overnight. Sometimes it takes trial and error to fully remove bad smells from your house. Cleaning every surface and item in the building helps make sure you completely remove the foul aroma.
How To Fix a Leaky Faucet
A leaky faucet can lead to a number of unwanted consequences.
While a leaky faucet might seem like a small nuisance, leaving it unfixed can lead to a number of unwanted consequences. Some of the more serious reasons you should take care of this issue are because a leaking faucet can
- Waste hundreds of gallons of water each year
- Increase the cost of your water bill
- Cause structural damage as severe wood damage or mold.
The DIY Guide to Fixing Your Leaking Faucet
Are you ready to take on the task yourself? Fixing a dripping faucet isn’t usually too complicated of a job. Follow our easy instructions and you should get your tap dry in no time.
1. Prepare Your Sink for Fixing
Before you fiddle with your faucet, look under your sink for a handle along the pipes leading up to the tap. Turn it clockwise to stop the water. Then plug your drain before you take apart your faucet, so you don’t lose any small screws or washers.
2. Determine Your Faucet Type
There are four different commonly found faucet types. A tap with separate temperature handles is called a compression faucet, while a tap with one handle can either be a ceramic-disk faucet (contains a ceramic cylinder), a ball faucet (contains a ball bearing) or a cartridge faucet (contains a cartridge).
3. Find Your Replacement Parts
Take your tap apart to check for broken parts (such the rubber washers on compression faucets) and give it a deep cleaning by soaking it in white vinegar. Take the stem and inner parts to a hardware store to find an exact replacement. Reassemble your new faucet and you should be good to go.
Assessing the Damage
If you’ve had a leaking faucet for a while, it’s good to get your sink area assessed for further damage. Find a restoration specialist in Cambrian Park, CA to check that your house is mold-free and not at risk for any structural damage. They can also make sure that your fixed leak isn’t going to come back anytime soon — a comfort to any homeowner.
Clearing Away the Smell of Smoke
Fire damage to a home in Lexington Hills, CA.
How To Remove Smoke Smell From a Home
A house fire has the potential to cause many different types of damage. The fire itself can damage the structure of a home as well as the following items:
- Home décor
- Other important home goods
However, homeowners in Lexington Hills, CA, who have experienced a house fire may be unprepared for the task of cleaning smoke damage. This is typically an unexpected part of the problems caused by a fire, but it can be considerable. The smoke odor can linger for days or even weeks following a fire, and can frustrate the abilities of a homeowner to clean it on his or her own. For this reason, smoke cleaning and professional odor remediation may be required.
Experience Makes a Difference
Homeowners in Lexington Hills, CA, are generally entirely willing to try to handle smoke cleaning on their own. However, the extent to which smoke spreads can make the task all but impossible to take care of individually. Many surfaces could have been affected by the smoke. Everything from curtains and drapery to furniture and bedding may need to be treated. This is where the experience and tools of experts really can come in handy.
The Right Equipment Can Be Key
Expert smoke cleaners can bring a range of specialized equipment to each job. This is just part of the reason why working with them can be so valuable. Thermal foggers, ozone machines, and special air filtration devices are typically available to be used to eradicate the smell of smoke from a home and a family’s belongings. These devices are usually applied strategically to maximize their benefit; the results help make a home livable again.
Fixing damage from smoke may only compound the devastation from a house fire. However, it is often possible to save items with professional smoke cleaning that are both important, such as children’s stuffed animals and baby clothes, and practical, such as couches, clothing, and rugs.
3 Facts About Business Interruption Insurance
Business interruption insurance is designed to help you recover quickly from a major disaster.
What Does Business Interruption Include
There are many ways you can protect your San Jose, CA, business, from installing fire sprinklers to investing in a top-notch security package, However, if your building should suffer serious destruction as the result of storm damage and you must rebuild, this could cost you thousands of dollars in downtime. Business interruption insurance can prevent this type of loss, but before you sign off on a policy, it is wise to understand how this type of coverage protects you, your employees and your business.
1. It Differs From Property Coverage
Insurance that covers an interruption in business is not the same as a policy you might buy to protect your property. Instead, this coverage protects you against monetary loss in case of a closure. Depending on the type of policy you buy, you will be compensated for the money you would have made and utility expenses for your closed business as repairs begin.
2. It Does Not Cover All Repair Expenses
Business interruption insurance is designed to help you recover quickly from a major disaster. However, it is important for you to understand that it may not cover all your expenses. For example, if you need to call in a storm damage and restoration company as a part of your recovery, this type of insurance will probably not cover the cost of their services. It is wise to review your policy before you sign it so you have a comprehensive understanding of your coverage.
3. There May Be a Waiting Period
If your business has suffered the kind of damage that requires you to rebuild, you may have to wait several days for your new insurance to kick in. This usually takes no more than 48 hours; however, every case is different, so you may want to contact your provider right away to inquire about how long you have to wait for coverage to begin.
When your San Jose, CA, business suffers severe damage and you need to rebuild, business interruption insurance can help you recover quickly. Learning as much as you can about this type of coverage before you need to use it may allow you to use it to its fullest potential.
How Does My Fire Sprinkler System Work?
A fire sprinkler system is required for many commercial properties.
How Does My Fire Sprinkler System Work?
A fire sprinkler system is required for many commercial properties in Los Gatos, CA, that are over 5,000 square feet, but that is not the only reason property owners should install one. An important part of owning a commercial building is establishing emergency procedures. This includes:
- Having a fire evacuation plan in place and communicating it to the people who enter your property
- Installing property safety features
- Knowing where the closest emergency response team is in your area
A sprinkler system for fires will aid in fire suppression, saving you money on costly repairs. Here are the things that make your system work so effectively.
Contrary to popular belief, a fire sprinkler system does not activate by smoke detection. Instead, it relies on glass bulbs filled with glycerin that activate by bursting when they reach temperatures above 135 degrees Fahrenheit. This prevents the system from wrongly activating due to burnt toast or other small, smoke-producing accidents.
Wet sprinkler systems will draw water from a tank during a fire emergency. When the sensor detects heat it will activate the system dousing the fire before it spreads. This will prevent injury, loss and protect your building from a larger fire.
To prevent massive water damages from activation, each sprinkler contains a sensor. When there is a fire, one sprinkler will go off at a time until it douses the fire, preventing other sensors from activating. This keeps loss due to water damage at a minimum. In case of activation, know of the fire damage restoration services in your area to help with fire sprinkler cleanup.
A fire sprinkler system is more complex and was invented to keep your property safe from fire damages without causing extra harm. Commercial property owners that invest in a sprinkler system will benefit from the added safety it provides for a building.
3 Key Things Your Business Needs Before a Storm Arrives
Keep computer files backed up on an external hard drive or cloud.
If your company in Monte Sereno, CA is heading into a stormy season, now is the time to prepare for potential impacts to your business. Don't wait until your local forecast includes rain, damaging winds, or even a more serious weather event. Start developing corporate emergency plans now that address your assets as well as property and flood insurance policies.
Create a Disaster Plan
Every business, no matter how big or small, needs a disaster plan to ensure it minimizes downtime and losses in the event of an emergency situation. Plans should be reviewed every year to update for changes in management and staffing, office locations, individual and commercial insurance carriers, and local or regional government issues.
Your plan should include the following:
- Primary and alternate work locations for all departments
- Backup and recovery of data and systems
- Vehicle and asset lists for all your locations
- Employee contact information
If a weather event is forecast and your office is located in an area under a state of emergency, planning for potential damage is essential to successfully minimizing the impact to your business. Develop a list of construction companies, storm damage restoration services, and other contractors to help with cleanup and rebuilding after the storm. Review the list annually to ensure you have up-to-date contact information.
Get Covered Early
Most carriers require a 30-day wait period before a newly purchased policy goes into effect. Some insurance companies also stop issuing new policies in regions under threat of adverse weather events. To ensure your company is covered well in advance of a natural disaster, compare quotes for property and flood insurance policies long before you may actually need them, and select the best coverage early.
Identify what you have, who will fix it, and where to get property and flood insurance. Planning is the key to successfully surviving a season of storms.
A Brief Guide to Various Types of Household Mold
Mold damage in Cambrian Park, CA.
Mold growth comes in many forms. No matter what kind you have, it needs to be removed by mold renovation specialists. Here's a look at some different types of molds you might encounter in Cambrian Park, CA.
Harmful molds fall into three categories:
Each of these classes is characterized by a unique set of negative effects. In every case, you must act with haste to prevent mold's spread.
Scientists recognize a dozen types of mold. An awareness of them should make dealing with your specific situation easier. Some common ones are below.
Acremonium is a toxigenic type of mold growth with an appearance that evolves over time. It begins as a small, moist fungus and slowly transforms into a powdery mess. It typically appears in areas with condensation.
Chaetomium is a form of mold often found in homes where there has been water damage. It features a cottony texture and is accompanied by a distinct odor. Over time, its color changes from white to grey, then to brown, and finally black.
Cladosporium appears in areas with both high humidity and cold conditions. An allergenic mold, this fungus often feeds on carpets and upholstery. You may find it under floorboards or in cupboards.
Aspergillus is extremely common. Another allergenic, aspergillus comes in many colors. Its spores connect into long chains that build thick layers.
Fusarium is both toxigenic and allergenic. Sometimes found growing on food, it's able to thrive in frigid temperatures. Colors range from white to pink and a variety of reds. This type of mold can spread particularly fast.
Mucor blossoms in thick patches. It can often be found near air conditioning systems where condensation is present. It is able to be easily identified by its distinctive greyish or white color.
No type of mold growth can be eliminated without the right attention. Knowing the exact type of mold you have is bound to prove helpful.